Thursday, 29 April 2010

Preparing for my oral examination

After submitting my thesis, things that I need to do is to study my own thesis. My supervisors told me that there're lots of thing to keep in mind. These are key ideas that I'm gonna work on during my holiday at home for 8 weeks.

Since my thesis emphasises Thai EFL in-service teachers' thinking at work. I need to be clear on these aspects:

Teachers:

- Teachers' responsibility at their working contexts
- What are students' expectations of EFL teachers in Thai tertiary context. (wait- this is interesting, I haven't read any research article about this...doubt if there's any...??)
- imagine practice and professional development or teachers as learners
- teacher maxims
- the three teachers using technology at work

Theorethical Issues:
- The interconnectedness of teacher cognition and sociocultural framework


Methodology
- Implications and limitations
- Developing my instrument
- Scenarios
- research settings

Background and supporting studies
- ELT trends in Thai contexts
- Students background and curriculum
- key quotes from researchers


When answering questions- it's not just giving the right answer. It's how you express your thoughts and understand the examiners' point.

- show that you are open to feedback
- able to discuss the issues in conversational style
- show your ability to explain things to lay audience
- how to extend the research or further investigation
- show appreciation and understanding of examiners' views

The examiners- they are doing you a favour. Appreciate them