Friday, 18 January 2008

What's in January?

I don't know these days I am a bit lazy and spend my time doing something else - I didnt mean that I don't study - but I have more activities squeezing in a day. When I was with Joan - my life was so scheduled- got up at 7 and took 8.30 bus - back home and had tea before 7 pm - went to bed at 11 - but it was good - it was a good start in the first six months - that's why I got things done so quickly because I had no social life.
Now I'm on my own at the hostel - get up late - went to bed around 2 am - have meal whenever hungry...no fixed plan for tomorrow ..things are so spontaneous - however I'm still optimistic about my study because I always come across new ideas for my research.

I don't know -sometimes I feel that I'm so lucky to find things that I need - just like running into a very good research article by accident. I like to study in the morning - the best time for me is 10 o'clock - I always have fresh mind and quick response at this time which usually lasts until 2 pm.
Today I sat in a library and thought to myself ' I like to be lonely in the crowd' -- I mean I want to be with people but it doesn't matter if they are my friends or not -- I can't stand being alone in an empty room. In this a little bit crowded environment - not too crowded - I am able to concentrate and work for long hours...I can sometimes work in my flat too after I have seen people around - then I know that I'm not the only one here. You might laugh at me but imagine you are in a foreign country and study really hard...sometimes social life is not healing but bringing more troubles into your life... As they say a PhD life is like becoming a hermit (not a hobbit)... well anyway I still enjoy my study life and try to get things done.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tessie,

Reading the first part of this page was quite worrisome.

Then, it was fairly relieved to hear that you would be still OK at the end of it.

It's really good that you've written this. Ppl could imagine your student's life exactly as it is.

You look a bit slender. How could you?

Ajarn_Aom said...

Dear Anonymous,

I think I'm just trying to make a balance between leisure and study. To tell the truth, I can't stand monotonous life - If I study for too long I would feel really sick. When I was younger, I used to push myself so hard but it didn't work. This time is different, I will make sure that I am happy with what I'm doing or I just don't do it...

Jon said...

What a gret answer, "I will make sure that I am happy with what I'm doing or I just don't do it...". I hope you can stick to this, life is way to short.
Jon