Thursday, 31 January 2008

Tessie "been fooling around??"


I met Dr Walker in the common room yesterday morning and she asked me how things going?
I answered "I'm just fooling around..." Anyway I didn't mean that I'm doing nothing--I gave her that answer because I haven't figured out yet what I have been looking for --what's the reason for keep reading more and more articles
-- What exactly are you looking for, Tessie?

Today I found the answer for my self-description "fooling around" -- I mean weeks ago I was after many research articles. Moving from one to another, I read and re-read those articles and take notes. Finally I know what I should report to my supervisors. There are two main things that I found from my January study.

1. I've been reading about common use of ICT by teachers. For example, in Williams et al (2000) survey, the majority of US teachers reported that they consider themselves generally competent in using computers. However, it doesn't mean that they are confident in integrating ICT in classroom teaching. Well -how about Thai tertiary teachers? I also want to know about their common use of ICT in both personal and professional life. Therefore, I am going to add some items in my survey questionnaire asking them to report their common use of ICT which later we may discover some associations between their common use and how they think, believe, or perceive about ICT in EFL instruction.

2. I have been reading many research articles relevant to my study. It's very interesting to see how they conducted the study using different kinds of framworks and methodology. Most of research about teachers and ICT integration apply mix-methodology presenting both quantitative and qualitative data - but there's been more weight on qualitative data. Therefore, I am going to create a powerpoint presentation about methodology used in previous studies and which I want to add in my methodology.


I normally read two articles (maximum 3) per day- I couldn't go more than that or I would break down...end up with junk food shopping--indulging myself with chips and chocolate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tessie, you said you had been fooling around, but I think your mind probably fooled you into thinking that, while it was working hard on the two key things you write about. Besides, I think even PhD students deserve a break :)! Keeping up your reading is great and I'm glad you have a daily limit - on the junk food too?. Looking forward to our next discussion, I'm interested in the points you made today. See you next week.
Ute

Ajarn_Aom said...

Thank you Dr Walker, writing my PhD life blog is very helpful for both my study and personal issues. It's like looking at my reflection in the mirror...

Anonymous said...

Dear Tess,

How common is common?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I begin on internet with a directory