For sure PhD is more complicated. I've done a lot of things that I couldn't imagine myself doing. Many years ago, I started my master's after one and a half year of teaching. The main instruction involve lectures, discussion, and paper presentation. There was nothing too demanding to do but at that time I felt it was so difficult. All the time I had to read research articles and textbooks about EFL teaching approaches. Then I talked to my classmates and discuss in the class with the Professor giving feedback and checking our understanding.
There were five students in the class. We were very close to each other and did things together. We shared tasks and helped each other did assignments.
Right now, I read, think, and analyse those research articles on my own. If you want to know about something, you have to read it yourself and spend a lot of time to digest it. Moreover, connections should be made between what you read and what you are trying to create in your own research. It's not just citing the others' work. I got some PhD friends but they are all into their own work. They all bury their heads into their own reading. PhD study needs a lot of independence, creativity, and even taking risks - trails and errors.
Doing a master's is like you are a co-pilot. Doing PhD is you the first pilot. Your own discretion to weave your research. Good instruments would bring you good data.
No comments:
Post a Comment