Monday, 17 December 2007

Reading Assignments

Last Thursday my supervisors gave me some assigments to do during the X'mas and New Year's holiday. It's something that I have already been working on but haven't submitted it to the supervisors. What i'm going to do are:

1. Read the research methodology books about qualitative research and take notes about useful hints for my research.

2. Think about the research design and other possibilities to obtain the data.

3. How to collect the data and the procedure I want to follow in the next phrase of the study.

4. Sending emails to potential participants and keep record of the feedback.


Well - this week - I hope to finish Dornyei's book and prepare a presentation about the essentials of qualitative research.

I just want to add something that has come on my mind at 1.46 am late friday night....Hey tonight is so quiet - maybe students have gone away or gone home. Very unusual not to hear any drunk people shouting and racing on the street.

Everytime my supervisors give me something to read - I always find useful hints for my research - Can I compare this task to anthropology field work. My professors said

'Tessie - dig here and show me what you discover" and they know I can do that because ....of what -- why they ask me to do this - - ? Why are they so sure about my study ability? How do they know that I will discover something?!!?...

That really amazes me -- this is what I want to be in the future when it's time for me to supervise a thesis -- teaching without teaching-- supporting without pushing...






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Tess,

Collecting data by sending out the questionnaires and waiting for their returns are unpredictable. You may need more time to collect enough data for analysis and interpretation. So, you need to plan well to make sure that you would have an extra time for it. Good luck!

I hope you can survive over your first X-mas and New Year's long holidays in NZ. Try to finish all the reading assignment before the last day of the year and on the New Year's Eve, go out somewhere you like most to celebrate the New Year 2008.

God bless you.
bye.

Ajarn_Aom said...

Dear Anonymous,

I can't help feeling desperate to get the response from those participants - anyway I always looking for the bright side. I believe that I will be lucky enough...
There is no use to worry about something that hasn't come yet. I know I would prepare everything when the time arrives...