Thursday, 25 October 2007

Metaphors of a PhD student

Metaphors of a PhD student


What is like to be a PhD student?

".....A PhD student is like a treasure hunter, an anthropologist, a cave explorer, a space adventurer, an astronaut, a clairvoyant, a cruiser in stormy water, and a designer....."
(Tessie, 2007)

Doing a PhD for me is like searching for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow – all you need is just believe in what you do or you will never reach the end of the rainbow.

No matter the others would say (except the supervisors because they also (or have to) believe in the same thing as you do) you have to keep on going and encouraging yourself. Getting a doctoral degree may be impossible for some people, not because they are not intelligent enough but they just don’t believe that there’s something (or someone) waiting for them at the end of this long and winding path.


Some may say that I am a dreamer but it’s all because of my dream that I am here and doing my PhD right now, without dreams, many things in my life would not be possible. However, it is not just daydreaming but trying to turn imagination into reality. Many great innovations were materialized from the inventors’ conceptual images.



















Yes, call me a 'Dream Lover'....


My current thoughts about PhD Study: I AM A SUBMARINE

PhD study for me right now is:Diving into unexplored underwater world...
Sometimes I feel lost...
Where am I? What I was doing here? What am looking for?
It's very dark down here and whenever you see any flashing light you just rush to it...
sometimes it's nothing but hallucination and you are trapped.
It's very hard to differentiate things down here...
Can't rise to the surface...Keep telling myself to go deeper...deeper
No matter how far and how long...I am a submarine...
....
...
..

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tess,

I agree with your opinion above.

I also like the last paragraph, in particular, the last sentence: "Many great innovations were materialized from the inventors’ conceptual images."

Yes. Many great people have their own impressive figures in mind and then follow their directions to the state of happiness.

Some just follow what they believe is God's will.

All therefore need something (or someone) to strenghten their mind to achive the target.

Keep going then, you will achieve your goal for all people you love.


By the way, have you had a chance to read a couple of books on "how to get a PhD (or something like that, I can't remember exactly)". If I can recall correctly it was published by The open university, London, UK.
You may find more points or material to write the blog.

I would love to read what you are going to extend its contents further.

Finally, please write more.
cheers,

Ajarn_Aom said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your recommendation for the book. I wonder if I can find one in the Massey library.

I showed this blog entry to my supervisors yesterday and read them my metaphors - I think they like it. However, I dont know how the other PhD students think about their student lives. I will ask some of my friends to view this entry and see how they would give metaphors about themselves....

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Well..For me, being a PhD student is like visiting an amusement park (lets say 'Disney land') for the first time. Every rides in there is so exciting and risky. As I am a person who is scared of those rides, my choice should be a merry-go-round. But after moving in a circle for some time, it becomes boring. I then move to roller coaster and lets see how I'm gonna be. ^^

PS: I'm truly in Disney land coz my supervisor's name is Disney...Isn't it ironic!?

He told me some interesting idea about learning:

You know what you knew is boring.
You know what you don't know is easy (just attend some classes or read some books).
You don't know what you don't know means you are in trouble.
You don't know what you know, here you need a holiday!

^..^ Wan

Anonymous said...

It's good to encourage each other ha!

It is more like climbing to me.

Some climber may have a good partner who is very helpful and may save his/her life.

Some climber may have just an OK partner.
It's good to have a partner though.

Some poor guy may have a not-so-good partner who just hold him/her back and even may put his/her life on risk (if not worst).

After all, even the best partner could not carry you up.
It's your own job to work the way up ... to the top.

Good Luck!

Choose your partner wisely.
Respect the mountain.
Use your common sense.

"Never, never, never give up." (a quote from a great man-Winston Churchill).

And hope you'll enjoy the summit.

Stray dog

ขจิต ฝอยทอง said...

cool!!!! blog

I agree with your idea about Ph.D student.

Best wishes,
khajit